Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dearly Beloved Ma'am...

Who are you, dear lady?
A stranger were you, when you entered my life;
Yet, you seemed so familiar when you smiled at me:
A smile born of heart-felt adoration and sincere love of me-
A smile I had only seen, before,
On my parents' faces on countless occasions and more.

Who are you, good lady?
You seem never to be at a loss of cheers for me
When I have accomplished something or the other;
You have never failed to console me
When my spirits were sore, owing to some failure;
You are always a pillar of strength, courage and wisdom,
That, during trying times, I've come to rely upon.

"Who are you?" I ask
You pray to god everyday so I may prosper.
You make sacrifices, so I may be happier.
You dedicate your life to preparing me for Life.
You toil, so the world may be filled with Samaritans in future.

Let me tell you who I think you are:
You are a very gifted sculptor,
Who strives to mould young, innocent and ignorant minds
Into young, caring and wise men and women,
So that, with their able young shoulders, they may
Step forth and bear the world some day.

Who are you, kind lady?
Why, I would fain call you my friend.
My mentor, guide; even an angel, a God-send.
Indeed, I would call you my cherished preserver,
Though the world may prefer to call you my Teacher.

2 comments:

Hilara said...

this poem, too was written by me for ALL the teachers in my school just before our graduation... both this poem and 'fly away, little birdie' were some of my earliest attempts at poetry-writing- so, if my poems seem a little crude to you, you now know why.

Anonymous said...

nah, they r beautiful. shows uve done some growin up too :P
CHUCK the word verification. ASAP. they make me wanna tear my hair out!